Thought for Today

Yesterday is gone, taking its regrets.

Tomorrow is yet to be, with its possibilities.

Today is here, with people who need your love.

Right Now.

Monday, September 27, 2010

An Exciting Time

This is an exciting time for me.  My days as Vicar of St. Thomas are rapidly drawing to a close.  As of today, I have 54 days of active time remaining.  In the last two months I have:
  • Taken part in the nomination and election of the next Bishop-elect, Fr. Dan Martins.
  • Completed confirmation classes for three ladies (two for confirmation, one for reception).
  • Conducted a First Communion Class for two lovely young ladies, and celebrated their First Communion.
  • Begun (and am half way through) a course of instruction from the University of Illinois Extension Service that will, in about a year's time, result in my certification as an "Illinois Master Naturalist." Note photo of White Snakeroot, a wood-edge prairie wildflower. This plant killed Abraham Lincoln's mother with what was called "the Milk Sickness" after cows ate the toxic plant.
  • Continued to provide pastoral care to my little flock of 60 souls.
  • Continued to provide outreach and counseling to community people with either financial needs or just a person to talk with.
My "seminarian," Jeff Kozuszek, has completed all of the canonical requirements for ordination and meets with the powers-that-be this Thursday - and, hopefully and prayerfully, will find out a date in November for his ordination to the deaconate.  Then will come, I hope and pray, the congregation's agreement that he is the one God intends to send to them.  Until his ordination I am referring to him as "deaconus futurus," which means, roughly, "deacon to be."

Be at Peace.  Tom+

No comments:

Post a Comment